historyphotie1-r20The history of T&D Cruickshanks began with Thomas Cruickshanks who had served his apprenticeships in the Lothians in the late 1920′s and in 1938 he moved to Kirkintilloch to take up a position as foreman blacksmith with a firm of vehicle bodybuilders.

In 1947 he saw a need for a blacksmiths business within the local farming community and along with is brother David, commenced trading as T&D CRUICKSHANKS in 1948.

However as farming methods changed the firm turned towards the building industry and started to produce Gates and Railings,  this being a success Thomas’s two sons joined the firm and light structural work was introduced.

history2-r100Today the company is managed by Thomas’s grandson Murray Cruickshanks who has increased the scope of works undertaken and now works closely in conjunction with Architects and Designers to manufacture Balconies, Feature Stairs, Fire Escapes and Balustrading in both mild and Stainless Steel along with Exhibition Stands and Street Sculptures working as far afield as Aberdeen, Gateshead, Oban and Stranraer.

Notable contracts of late include working in conjunctions with designer John Creed on the installation of the new Stainless Steel Gates at Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum, and the restoration of 2 sets of original Gates from inside the Museum.

Commissions from Gateshead City Council for the Street Sculptures “Acceleration” and “Counterpoise” saw the company venture south of the border to be involved with the redevelopment of the Town Hall square.

T&D Cruickshanks Ltd were also responsible in 2005 for the fabrication and erection of the superstructure for the global pavilion for the G8 Summit at The Gleneagles Hotel.

Quality and service have always been our goal in over 60 years of trading.

historyphotie2-r20

blacksmiths1